In this article I will be discussing the best choice for application letter handwritten or typed. Feel free to give your opinion as to which is better.
The choice of the type of letter mainly depends on reason for writing and the instruction given when applying. Some companies will vividly tell you to send in typed application letter in word format while others may seriously need a good handwritten letter.
A typed letter entails all letter that are typed using a keyboard, printed with or without a letter heading . There are so many reason why a typed letter should be preferred over a handwritten letter.
- If your handwritten is not that easy to read. No recruiter will have the time to start figuring out word by word what you submitted as your application letter
- If you were strictly asked to submit a typed letter
- Typed letter is relatively easier than handwritten letter because you could save your draft and continue anytime and you are easily corrected for each typographical and grammatical error you make
- Typed letter looks more professional, you can bold important information and also there are lot of available formats for you to choose
The nature of the job you are applying for can also indicate the need to use handwritten letter. For example, a job vacancy for a teaching job may require you to send in an application letter also when applying for Internships or Industrial Training, companies usually requires student to send in application letter in written form e.g Total, Chevron and Shell Internship.
Reasons why you can prefer handwritten to typed letter
- A beautiful handwriting is always catchy and may give you and edge over other applicants.
- It always looks natural
- If the application strictly requires a handwritten letter.
Key points to note
- When sending a handwritten letter, it is very paramount you write the letter yourself. On no account should you ever let someone else do it for you.
- In a situation where you see a Job/internship advert with no form of application letter clearly stated, I will advise you make it handwritten( unless your handwritten isn’t easy to read) most especially for student internships.
- If your handwriting is beautiful, showcase it by sending in handwritten application